First responders administer first aid to injured people while waiting for ambulances and paramedics to arrive and can help accelerate the treatment of individuals who have experienced a sudden attack or illness.
The Emergency and Fire Protection Department has also provided a first responders service on a 24/7 basis since 1995.
The First Responders Program has four levels of first response services. The Town of Pincourt holds the highest level of accreditation (PR-3), meaning that its personnel have gone through the most complete training program (60 hours). They are trained to respond in cases of breathing difficulties requiring CPR, anaphylaxis, trauma and medical emergencies.
In addition, every newly hired firefighter must also perform the duties of a first responder. Consequently, they are required to be on call during a certain number of hours every month. All Department members have received training and certification recognized by the regional health and social services agency. All first responders must also complete a yearly skills maintenance program.
Examples of emergency response measures:
- Clearing airways
- Administration of epinephrine in cases of anaphylaxis (allergy-related)
- External bleeding
- Major trauma
- Assistance to paramedics and police officers (extrication in the event of an accident)
- Other medical interventions (chest pain, shortness of breath)
Whenever someone calls 9-1-1, the Centrale d'appels d'urgence de Chaudière-Appalaches (CAUCA) dispatches the necessary resources by paging firefighters. Once those firefighting personnel have been mobilized, it takes an average of eight minutes to get to the scene of the emergency.
Types of emergencies and response measures:
- Fire (buildings, vehicles, chimneys, forests, electrical installations, garbage cans, etc.)
- Awareness and prevention
- First responders
- Rescue operations (on the water or in forested areas)
- Fire alarms
- Carbon monoxide detectors
- Confined space operations
- Gas leak checks
- Assistance for other municipalities
- Odour checks